Wednesday, February 6, 2008


This image provided by Focus Features shows actor Heath Ledger portraying the character Ennis Del Mar in the movie "Brokeback Mountain."

Heath Ledger Died of Accidental Overdose of Prescription Drugs, Examiner Says
Wednesday, February 06, 2008

NEW YORK — Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of painkillers, sleeping pills, anti-anxiety medication and other prescription drugs, the New York City medical examiner said Wednesday.

The cause of death was "acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine," spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said in a statement.

The medical examiner's office only provided generic names, so it is unknown whether he took generic or brand-name drugs. Police had said they found six types of prescription drugs, including sleeping pills and anti-anxiety medication, in Ledger's apartment.

Oxycodone is a painkiller marketed as OxyContin and used in other painkillers such as Percodan and Percocet; hydrocodone is used in a number of painkillers, including Vicodin.

Diazepam and alprazolam are the generic names for the anti-anxiety drugs Valium and Xanax, and the other two drugs are sleep aids commonly sold under the brands Restoril and Unisom.



The Merry Widow said...

My Mother lost the vision in the center of her eyes AND lost nerve feeling in her feet and lower legs due to overprescription by a careless internist!
When she started having problems he asked my Dad to bring in all of her prescriptions...he had to use a paper grocery bag...
Good morning, G*D bless and Maranatha!


CHOMP said...

OhMyGoodnes, I can't imagine that many prescriptions in one home...but I bet it happens all the time.

TMW, I am so sorry about what happened to your Mom. Some people and some doctors mix and match too many prescriptions.