Monday, July 21, 2008


After allegedly being kidnapped by her estranged husband, Clinton Lewis, inset, Pfc. Jeneesa Lewis, left, reportedly convinced him to return to Texas and surrender himself to authorities.(ABC / El Paso Police Department,AP Photo)

Soldier Survives 3-Day Kidnap Trek to Vegas
Fort Bliss Soldier Convinces Abusive Husband to Return to Texas and Surrender
By DAVID SCHOETZJuly 21, 2008

A female Fort Bliss soldier survived being beaten and stabbed during a three-day ordeal in which her estranged husband allegedly kidnapped her, taking her as far as Las Vegas before she convinced him to return to Texas to turn himself in to police, authorities announced today.

"It was the best possible case for a horrible situation," Chris Mears, a spokesman for the El Paso Police Department, said at an afternoon news conference. "You have a woman that was viciously assaulted in her apartment and taken against her will, but is here today to tell us about it and can get on with her life."

Clinton Lewis, 34, allegedly attacked his wife, 29-year-old Pfc. Jeneesa Lewis, around 5:15 p.m. Thursday as she entered her apartment near the Texas military base, Mears said.


Authorities say Lewis was waiting for his wife inside her apartment last Thursday evening and kicked her in the face as she walked through the door. He allegedly stabbed her at least twice in the legs with a kitchen knife and threatened to kill her before putting her in his truck and fleeing.

The alleged abductor then drove about 650 miles to Las Vegas, where they checked into a motel. Sometime Saturday night, Mears said, Jeneesa convinced her husband to return to El Paso, and the pair boarded a Texas-bound bus.

Jeneesa was reported missing Friday after the mother of three -- including a 4-year-old son she had with Lewis -- failed to show up for work at Fort Bliss and fellow soldiers went to her apartment to look for her. The unit was locked and police were called. Authorities forced their way into the apartment and found blood stains and evidence of a struggle.


Lewis had followed his wife to Fort Bliss after she joined the military, in part, to escape the abusive relationship, Jeneesa's sister said. He moved into her apartment in Texas and even managed to get his name on her lease, according to Jeneesa's sister.


No comments: